Improve your students’ cultural awareness with this Christmas around the world French resource!
Oui, c’est Noël autour du monde!
They’ll love learning about how different Christmas celebrations are in different countries, and they’ll also have fun in the process.
Christmas Around the World French Resource
There are nine mini-books in the file, one for each of the following countries: Canada, France, the USA, England, Australia, Russia, Italy, Mexico, and Germany.
Each mini-book is one double-sided sheet of paper so that you can save on copies and paper!
There are instructions in the PDF file, but the idea is to fold the sheet of paper twice, staple, and separate the pages by cutting the top of the mini-book.
There’s a short factual paragraph about the country’s geographic location, a multiple choice question for students to pick the right country flag, and a place for them to draw the flag themselves.
There are three passages about different aspects of the Christmas celebration in the country: food, traditions, etc.
And there are illustrations to support understanding.
There’s also a version with cloze (yes, with a Z) activities, which is a fancy name for fill-in-the-blanks exercises.
Some of the interesting facts covered in the mini-books:
- Russia: Christmas is celebrated on the evening of January 6th to the 7th.
- Italy: some kids believe that it’s not Santa who brings them gifts, but it’s actually “la Befana” who’s in charge of that.
- Australia: Christmas takes place in the summer, so some people celebrate it at the beach.
- Germany: there are lots of Advent-related traditions.
- USA: kids leave milk and cookies for Santa, and carrots for the reindeers.
- France: a “white Christmas” is a rare thing in France.
- Mexico: there’s a 9-day celebration, called “Las Posadas”, that reenacts the trip taken by Joseph and Mary from Nazareth to Bethlehem.
- England: the Queen delivers a public message of hope and peace on Christmas day.
- Canada: one of the most traditional Christmas dishes is “la tourtière”.
This resource comes in B&W only to save on color ink and allow kids to color the images in and express their creativity!
Click on any of the images to check out this Christmas Around the World French Resource on TpT!
Read: French Christmas Lapbook